hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: region size/count per regionserver
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:22:33 GMT
These days I think the recommendation is more like 20 regions per
region server, and the region size set accordingly. The major caveat
is that when you start compacting the bigger store files you can
really take a massive IO hit, so most of the time major compactions
are tuned to run only every week or disabled and ran manually during
low traffic. The FB peeps did a lot of experimenting and that's what
they are currently running, they also contributed back a few
optimizations for compactions in 0.92. In our case we have a pretty
old setup and had way too many regions so we ran a few online merges
to bring this down to like 80 regions/RS and it's working pretty well.

J-D