hbase-user mailing list archives

From Joey Echeverria <j...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: new to hbase
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:55:39 GMT
My first suggestion would be to not use HBase. 1 TB isn't that large
for a beefy database server to handle. If you don't want to keep using
Oracle, you could look at MySQL or PostgreSQL.

As for your specific questions:

1) You can't run SQL queries directly over HBase, it's not a RDMS. You
could try using Hive's HBase integration. Hive is a library that
translates SQL-ish queries into MapReduce jobs. I say SQL-ish because
it's not fully SQL compliant. Also, the integration with HBase is
still immature.
2) The best option for moving data between HBase and Oracle is Sqoop.
Sqoop's an Apache (incubating) project for transferring data between
RDBMS and Hadoop. It also includes native support for populating HBase
tables with the exported data.

-Joey

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:02 AM,  <dastagiri.shaik@gm.com> wrote:
> hi experts,
>  I am new to hbase , i am planing to implement HBase in my Development
> environment  ,can u please tell me habse is suitable or not..., we are
> updating our database weekly once from the production database ,
> my application was implemented on oracle database , our databse is reached
> nearlly 1 TB,now i am planing to implement to Hbase and hadoop in My
> Applications
>
> 1.Is there any possibility that i can able to use our won Sql Queries in
> HBase.
> 2.Is there any Possiblity of  synchronize our oracle Db with Hbase for My
> Weekly Update.
>
> Thank
>
> Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific
statement to the contrary is included in this message.

> Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which
it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, transmission,
dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received
this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.

--
Joseph Echeverria
Cloudera, Inc.