hbase-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Gómez Ferro <danie...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Omid: Transactional Support for HBase
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 20:36:45 GMT

On Nov 5, 2011, at 05:37 , lars hofhansl wrote:

Cool stuff Daniel,

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the good points.

Was looking through the code a bit. Seems like you make a best effort to push as much of
the filtering of KVs of uncommitted transactions to HBase and then do some filtering on the
client
not a bad approach. (I hope I didn't misunderstand the approach, only looked through the code
for
1/2 hour or so).

Putting it more accurately, the uncommitted KVs are stored at HBase, but it is the client's
job to filter them using the commit information that it has received from the status oracle.
According to snapshot isolation guarantee, all the versions that are inserted with a timestamp
larger than the transaction start timestamp must be ignored, which is done by setting the
time range on the client's get request sent to HBase. Since the uncommitted changes of the
aborted transactions are eventually removed from HBase, the client rarely needs to fetch more
than a version to reach a KV that is committed before the transaction starts (the first property
of snapshot isolation).

One thing I was wondering: Why bookkeeper? Why not store the WAL itself in HBase? That way
you might not even need a separate server.

Did you see: HBaseSI (http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~c15zhang/HBaseSI.pdf), they also do MVCC
on top of unaltered HBase/schema, although from reading that paper I get the impression that
it
would not scale to scans touching many rows (which is where your client side filtering comes
in).

Thanks for the link. We had seen the other paper of the same authors (Grid2010) that shares
the same bottlenecks with the recent work.
As you pointed out correctly, the question is about performance. You could see the scalability
bottleneck of 400 TPS in the evaluation section of this paper. Our approach, however, provides
snapshot isolation with a negligible overhead on region servers, and could scale up to tens
of thousands write transactions per second. If you are interested, a summary of techniques
that we used to achieve this performance is published at SOSP'11, poster section.
http://sigops.org/sosp/sosp11/posters/summaries/sosp11-final12.pdf

-- Lars