hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Help with continuous loading configuration
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:36:56 GMT
hbase.hstore.blockingStoreFiles is the maximum number of store files HBase will allow before
it will block writes in order to catch up with compacting files. Default is 7.

If this is too low you'll see warning about blocking writers in the logs. I found that for
some test load I had, I needed to increase this 20
along with changing hbase.hregion.memstore.block.multiplier to 4 (this allows the memstore
to grow larger, be careful with this :) ).

hbase.hstore.compactionThreshold is the number of store files that will trigger a compaction.
Changing this won't help with throughput...

But I'll let somebody else jump in with more operational experience.

________________________________
From: Amit Jain <jamit0574@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org; lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: Help with continuous loading configuration

Hi Lars,

The keys are arriving in random order.  The HBase monitoring page shows
evenly distributed load across all of the region servers.  I didn't see
anything weird in the gc logs, no mention of any failures.  I'm a little
unclear about what the optimal values for the following properties should
be:

hbase.hstore.compactionThreshold
hbase.hstore.blockingStoreFiles

Is there some rule of thumb that I can use to determine good values for
these properties?

- Amit