hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What happens if HFile contains the key that already present?
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:43:48 GMT
Keep in mind that the timestamp is part of the key, and in your
descriptions you talk about "key" but in HBase there's multiple keys:
row key, family, qualifier and timestamp.

The rule in HBase is that the highest timestamp wins, so when you
import your HFiles they should normally have a higher time. Now let's
say you have qualifiers "a", "b" and "c" in row key "x" in one HFile
and then import another "x" with "c" and "d". The end result will be
"x" containing "a", "b", the latest "c" and "d".

Hope this helps,

J-D