hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: querying questions
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:49:17 GMT
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Sam Seigal <selekt86@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Open TDSB does it I believe :
>
> http://opentsdb.net/schema.html
>
> I am curious to know although the difference between having string as a row
> key, converting them into bytes, and then storing the key , as opposed to
> having numerical values stored as native bytes as bit masks.

An long is 8 bytes.  You can store an unsigned number up to
18,446,744,073,709,551,615 in those eight bytes.   If you stored this
number as a String -- presuming a byte per character -- you need
nearly 3x the bytes.

@Rita HBase is sorted internally and when you write rows and columns,
you specify them using raw bytes; see our APIs over in the client
package: http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/package-summary.html#package_description.
 If you want to play with bytes, there are lots of utilities including
the native HBase ones over in
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/util/Bytes.html
(Hopefully this helps some).

St.Ack