hbase-user mailing list archives

From sagar naik <sn...@attributor.com>
Subject update/increment only if row is present
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 02:00:06 GMT
Hello Friends,

We have a case in our application where we need to update values or
increment values only if the row is present.
Primary reason being, row key received may be corrupt or invalid. We dont
want to create dangling rows.

Obviously,
 - get row key and check if the row exists, then update is a costly call. 2
round trips for each update
 - checkAndPut -> one needs to knw row,family,qualifer and value to
accomplish this. I initially thought passing just rowkey and value=rowKey
will work. But, u need all the arguments.
 - Is there any hack u can recommend to work around this problem.
 - Also, for increment, how do I implement it.

In short, any update/increment should happen only if row key is present. So
this will help me achieve some data integrity

Thanks
The community is super helpful
So Thanks again :)

-Sagar