hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vinod Gupta Tankala <tvi...@readypulse.com>
Subject Recommended backup/restore solution for hbase
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:15:53 GMT
Hi,
Can someone answer these basic but important questions for me.
We are using hbase for our datastore and want to safeguard ourselves from
data corruption/data loss. Also we are hosted on aws ec2. Currently, I only
have a single node but want to prepare for scale right away as things are
going to change starting next couple of weeks. Also, I am currently using
ephemeral store for hbase data.

1) What is the recommended aws data store method for hbase? should you use
ephemeral store and do S3 backups or use EBS? I read and heard that EBS can
be expensive and also unreliable in terms of read/write latency. Ofcourse,
it provides data replication and protection, so you don't have to worry
about that.

2) What is the recommended backup/restore method for hbase? I would like to
take periodic data snapshots and then have a import utility that will
incrementally import data in case i lose some regions due to corruption or
table inconsistencies. also, if something catastrophic happens, i can
restore the whole data.

3) While we are at it, what is the recommended ec2 instance types for
running master/zookeeper/region servers? i get conflicting answers from
google search - ranging from c1.xlarge to m1.xlarge.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me.

thanks
vinod