hbase-user mailing list archives

From Li Pi <...@ucsd.edu>
Subject Re: Recommended backup/restore solution for hbase
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:49:31 GMT
What kind of situations are you looking for to guard against? Partial
hardware failure, full hardware failure (of live cluster),
accidentally deleting all data?

HDFS provides replication that already guards against partial hardware
failure - if this is all you need, a ephemeral store should be  fine.

Also, HBase can use S3 directly as a datastore. You can choose the raw
mode, in which HBase treats S3 as a disk. There used to be a block
based mode as well, but now as S3 has increased the object size limit
to 5tb, this isn't needed anymore. (Somebody correct me if i'm wrong).