hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Region Server does not shutdown gracefully
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 01:41:19 GMT
The bit about 1ms ping times sounds a bit good to me but Dan below
says is better.
St.Ack

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Daniel Washburn
<lists@roamingmonkey.org> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Bogdan Ghidireac wrote:
>
>>> HBase and HDFS are not made to span datacenters.
>>
>> Yes, I know. I think the correct terminology is 3 availability zones
>> within the same region (ping between them is about 1ms)
>
> [snip]
>

>>> Is my assumption correct? Should I open a JIRA?
>>>

>> You could paste the thread dump but before doing anything, I'd suggest
>> you change your layout so cluster runs inside a single datacenter.
>>
>> St.Ack
>
> Echoing St.ack's advice, but not wanting to sound like I'm scolding, you really should
consider moving your AMIs into a single Availability Zone.  EC2 puts up some impressive availability
numbers as a platform, but when you stack several layers of software onto it, you start to
push the limits of the availability zone SLA, and certainly the availability requirements
of the NameNode.