hbase-user mailing list archives

From Time Less <timelessn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Cassandra on StackOverflow
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:13:13 GMT
Why are you quoting "harder" what was said was "more complex". Setting up N
> things is more complex then setting up a single thing.

Okay. Sorry for misinterpreting your meaning. You're right, it's more
complex to set up.

You are also implying that following the wiki is easy. Personally, I find
> that the wiki has fine detail, but it is confusing.

True. Running a world-class distributed database isn't trivial. And yeah,
sorry for implying following the wiki is easy. It was for me, but that may
not be for others.

> Uppercasing the word FAR does not prove to me that hbase is easier to
> administer nor does the your employment history or second hand stories
> unnamed from people you know.

A lot of people think credentials are important, especially in this
particular debate of Cassandra vs. HBase, where obviously technical details
are ignored. My point is, I've worked extremely closely with the flagship
deploys of both (Apache) Cassandra and HBase and continue to work closely
with the people who still have to run this stuff at volume today. I'm sorry
you don't find these details important.

[2] I went from having never set up HBase nor ever used Chef to having
> functional Chef recipes that installed a functional HBase/HDFS cluster in
> about 2 weeks.
>
> It took me about one hour to accomplish the same result with puppet +
> cassandra.
> http://www.jointhegrid.com/highperfcassandra/?p=62

Something being easy to set up is entirely different than it working at
scale. Note I don't mention how long it took me to set up SQL Lite or write
Chef recipes for it. The whole point of Puppet and Chef is to manage
complexity, which you'll need when running a world-class distributed
database.

--
Tim Ellis
Data Architect, Riot Games