hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stuti Awasthi <stutiawas...@hcl.com>
Subject RE: Dynamic addition of RegionServer
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:12:46 GMT
Hi ,
I was able to add region server dynamically in running cluster . But this happens only when
hostname of new node is resolved to IP by running cluster.
Now to achieve this I have to add new node IP and hostname in /etc/hosts file and rebooted
the machine. Restarted the cluster and added node dynamically.

Now since currently in Hbase it resolves only hostname and not IP is a drawback I see because
if I want to add any regionserver dynamically  it must be present in my /etc/hosts file on
each node and this is not always possible.

Any suggesstions if it can be fixed?

Regards
Stuti

From: Stuti Awasthi
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:30 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Dynamic addition of RegionServer

Hi all,

I was trying to add new regionserver node dynamically to my already running cluster. I updated
conf/regionserver file and added IP (not hostname) of new node and started regionserver daemon
on the new node. It is started fine but on Hbase webUI it doesnot shows the new regionserver
added.

As far as I know Hbase resolve the hostname of the nodes. Now if I add hostname to conf/regionserver
file then I will also need to update /etc/host and reboot the machines otherwise it will give"
unkown host exception ".

Am I missing something ?

-Stuti

::DISCLAIMER::