hbase-user mailing list archives

From Joseph Pallas <joseph.pal...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Cassandra on StackOverflow
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:27:39 GMT
Drifting off topic a bit …

On Sep 1, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Ryan Rawson wrote:

>> First, you have to learn:
>> 1) Linux HA
>> 2) DRDB
>>
>> Right out of the gate just to have a redundant name node.
>
> Eh, no one would do that.  If you want a redundant name node your only
> choice is to use Mapr, which I would def recommend since you get a
> better nn "fail-over" w/o service interruption and significantly
> higher performance than hdfs.

Really?  People running offline analytics may be fine with an hour of downtime [<http://hadoopblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hadoop-namenode-high-availability.html>
<http://www.hortonworks.com/data-integrity-and-availability-in-apache-hadoop-hdfs/>]
for their M/R jobs, but people running interactive services do not find that acceptable.

Is my only option to avoid significant downtime in the event of a name node failure a closed-source
offering that has already demonstrated at least one serious data-loss issue <http://answers.mapr.com/questions/415/hbase-table-disappear-after-failover-attempt-and-fall-back>?

I don’t really mean to criticize MapR: they were victims of a hidden dependency, but that’s
what happens when you replace part of an integrated stack.  And that is why I find your suggestion
that I should not expect to use the integrated stack a little unnerving, because I'm looking
at HBase for an online application.

joe