hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Geoff Hendrey" <ghend...@decarta.com>
Subject RE: scanner deadlock?
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:31:15 GMT
Agree: 1.6.0_u18 was totally broken. We definitely saw that too.

-geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Purtell [mailto:apurtell@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 3:45 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: scanner deadlock?

> From: Sandy Pratt <prattrs@adobe.com>
> TLDR: OpenJDK ~= Oracle JDK, so why not use it?

This advice is given out of an abundance of caution. Some have been burned in production by
bad JVM versions in the past. Oracle's 1.6.0_u18 is a particularly egregious example, it will
segfault all over the place under load. 1.6.0_u14 was widely used once. Now u21+ seems a
good option given the JIT and GC bugfixes that went in. IIRC, with u20 or previous you need
to enable -XX:+UseMembar to avoid a JIT bug that will cause object monitors to miss wakeups
every once in a while. I currently use Oracle 1.6.0_u26.

Given the history of JVM issues, we do not automatically trust any given version. None of
the committers run HBase in production on OpenJDK that I know of, so its suitability is unknown.
I'm glad to hear it works for you. What specific version are you using?

Best regards,

    - Andy