hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Geoff Hendrey" <ghend...@decarta.com>
Subject RE: ScannerTimeoutException
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 18:56:40 GMT
hfile.block.cache.size is default (.2). Regionservers have 14GB heap.

I did not disable major compactions.

-geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Vidhyashankar Venkataraman [mailto:vidhyash@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:08 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Cc: Rohit Nigam; Tony Wang; Parmod Mehta
Subject: Re: ScannerTimeoutException

Jira for 3: HBASE-2077

Dince you are adding a column as opposed to a family, you are doing a sparse scan so it is
likely that issue (3) is happening.

* Have you disabled major compactions as well?
 * How big is your block cache?

On 9/8/11 10:57 AM, "Geoff Hendrey" <ghendrey@decarta.com> wrote:

thanks:

1)   I have splitting disabled

2)   possible, but each reduce task uses its own JVM. Therefore, GC could explain an individual
failure, but not the exponentially increasing failure rate. Further, I can concurrently start
a second M/R job doing exactly the same thing, and it follows the same pattern: No failures
at first…progressing to virtually all scanners timing out. Both jobs are scanning the same
table.

3)   we are using 90.1…does the bug effect us? Jira issue number?

THANKS,

-geoff