hbase-user mailing list archives

From Arvind Jayaprakash <w...@anomalizer.net>
Subject Re: Counter columns in hbase
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 14:58:36 GMT
On Sep 06, sagar naik wrote:
>I can dedup based on timestamp of the event.
>Can I increment the counter value and assign the version as the timestamp of
>this event ?

Is it because you have an infinitesimally fine grained timestamp, you
assume two events wont happen at the "same time" (as defined by
granularity of your clock) or just because the events are far and few?

Also, are the events arriving in monotonically increasing order of time?
I assume that is not the case given that you talk of duplicates (it
would be a real crazy system if duplicates always arrive exactly one
after the other without any interleaving).

If the answer is no to either of the above solutions, then you need to
rethink a bit.