hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Question about HBase Cluster Replication
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:13:55 GMT
Kein Problem :)

Actually you could even use the slave cluster for writes (those changes would not get replicated
back, though).
The timestamping of HBase makes that all possible and easy.

I am working on Master-Master replication (see HBASE-2195).

-- Lars

________________________________
From: Jens Hartung <cassandra@jens-hartung.de>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: Question about HBase Cluster Replication

Hallo Lars,

thanks for your response. I had a discussion with my tutor about the
cluster-replication feature. He thought, this is only for backup
purposes. And I didn't find the decisive hint, that the slave can be
used for read-only queries.

Jens

Am 07.09.2011 18:51, schrieb lars hofhansl:
> Hallo Jens,
>
> yes, you can use the slave cluster for read-only queries (but be aware that the replication
is asynchronous, which means the slave can be behind).
> Beyond setting up replication there is no other setup needed for this.
>
> We (Salesforce.com) might be adding code to supporting multiple slaves, but it is not
clear when we'll get to that, yet.

document on HBase main site ( http://hbase.apache.org/replication.html ).

> According to the missing feature, there can be only one slave cluster currently. Can
the slave cluster be used for read only-access (eg. for load-balancing cases)? When yes, how
I have to configure the clusters?