hbase-user mailing list archives

From "sasha.maksimenko" <sasha.maksime...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: delete does not free hdd space
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 07:42:20 GMT
hi!
hm
I've deleted and after that run major_compact

HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands.
Version: 0.20.6, r965666, Mon Jul 19 15:48:07 PDT 2010
hbase(main):001:0> major_compact 'task'
0 row(s) in 0.9210 seconds
hbase(main):002:0>

is it could be a problem that I use local file system  - not HDFS?

> If you run a major_compact from the shell that should purge out deleted records. By default
the major compaction happens on every table every 24 hours.

> -chris
>
> On Aug 25, 2011, at 12:17 AM, sasha.maksimenko wrote:
>
>> hi!
>> I need to free hdd space, so I want to delete some unimportant rows
>> I'm using Thrift call
>> deleteAllRow(TABLE, ROWID);
>> to perform deletion of about 10 000 row (when I loaded them it was about 30Gb). When
I perform this operation I checked thru hbase shell that rows are deleted, but used space
of the disk is not changed
>> I performed compact and major_compact operations (they returned 0 processed rows)
but space is not changed too.