hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bill Wacek <bwa...@data-tactics.com>
Subject HBase auto-starting ZooKeeper on machine boot, ignoring existing Zookeeper service already started
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:54:50 GMT
Hi All!

I am hoping this is a simple problem, as I can't find documentation on
this anywhere.

I have HBase 0.90.3 installed with Hadoop 0.20.2 and (standalone)
Zookeeper 3.3.3 all on top of Ubuntu 10.10.  Hadoop and Zookeeper start
on system boot with no problems (both start with priority 20).  I have
configured HBase with the HBASE_MANAGES_ZK=false flag.

If HBase is started manually after boot, everything works as expected.
However, if I try to start HBase (priority 90, so later in boot process)
during system boot, HBase tries to start up it's own ZooKeeper daemon.
It complains about not being able to start ZooKeeper on port 2181, and
tries on 2182.  I already have my standalone ZooKeeper running on 2181.

Why does this scenario not work during system boot?  Do I have something
incorrectly configured?  Any advice would be appreciated.

-Bill
--
*Bill Wacek*
Senior Solutions Architect