hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Buttler, David" <buttl...@llnl.gov>
Subject RE: Versioning
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:16:53 GMT
Physically, you will be storing the same data.  Hbase stores everything as key-value pairs.
 The cell identifier is "row key, column family, column qualifier, timestamp"

However, by storing items in different rows it is more convenient to query and delete old
values.  By default you only get the most recent version of a column during a scan.

One way to think about it is: versions are for when you don't want to forget previous versions,
but you typically only want the most recent version.  If you want to be continuously accessing
old versions, you would be better off putting them in separate rows.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Sheng Chen [mailto:chensheng2010@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 1:38 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Versioning

Hi, I just saw your recent update of the hbase book on the version number
question, and I'm also confused about it.
As said on the book (HBASE-4251), it is not recommended setting the number
of versions to an exceedingly high level (e.g., hundreds or more) unless
those old values are very dear to you because this will greatly increase
StoreFile size.

But sometimes, we do need to save multiple versions of values, such as
logging events, or messages of Facebook. In these cases, what is the trade
off between saving them in different rows, and in different versions of one
row?

Thank you.
Sean