hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Buttler, David" <buttl...@llnl.gov>
Subject RE: delete does not free hdd space
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:12:22 GMT
Major_compact is an asynchronous command.  It may take some time for space to be freed.  If
you are watching your data node logs you should be able to see blocks being deleted.  If you
are on the local file system, you should be table to periodically do a 'du -sh' command on
the hbase table directory and see the used space diminish.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Halbert [mailto:joel@su3analytics.com]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 2:37 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: delete does not free hdd space

Hi,

I experience exactly the same thing.

After deleting many rows I do not see a decrease in size of data on
disk.

When I run a major compact manually from the shell it outputs the same
as for Sasha:

0 row(s) in 0.9210 seconds

I am running HBase standalone (without hadoop) on local disk.

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 10:42 +0300, sasha.maksimenko wrote:
> hi!
> hm
> I've deleted and after that run major_compact
>
> HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands.
> Version: 0.20.6, r965666, Mon Jul 19 15:48:07 PDT 2010
> hbase(main):001:0> major_compact 'task'
> 0 row(s) in 0.9210 seconds
> hbase(main):002:0>
>

> is it could be a problem that I use local file system  - not HDFS?
>

> > If you run a major_compact from the shell that should purge out deleted records.
By default the major compaction happens on every table every 24 hours.

> > -chris
> >
> > On Aug 25, 2011, at 12:17 AM, sasha.maksimenko wrote:
> >
> >> hi!
> >> I need to free hdd space, so I want to delete some unimportant rows
> >> I'm using Thrift call
> >> deleteAllRow(TABLE, ROWID);
> >> to perform deletion of about 10 000 row (when I loaded them it was about 30Gb).
When I perform this operation I checked thru hbase shell that rows are deleted, but used space
of the disk is not changed
> >> I performed compact and major_compact operations (they returned 0 processed
rows) but space is not changed too.