hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Buttler, David" <buttl...@llnl.gov>
Subject RE: how to make tuning for hbase (every couple of days hbase region sever/s crashe)
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:49:36 GMT
Have you looked at the logs of the region servers?  That is a good first place to look. How
many regions are in your system?  If you are using MSLAB, it reserves 2MB/region as a buffer
-- that can add up when you have lots of regions.

Given so little information all my guesses are going to be wild, but they might help:
4GB may not be enough for your current load.  Have you considered changing your memory allocation,
giving less to your map/reduce jobs and more to HBase?

What is your key distribution like?  Are you writing to all regions equally, or are you hotspotting
on one region?

Check your cell/row sizes.  Are they really large (e.g. cells > 1 MB; rows > 100 MB)?
 Increasing region size should help here, but there may be an issue with your RAM allocation
for HBase.

Are you sure that you are not overloading the machine memory? How much RAM do you allocate
for map reduce jobs?

How do you distribute your processes over machines?  Does your master run namenode, hmaster,
jobtracker, and zookeeper, while your slaves run datanode, tasktracker, and hregionserver?
 If so, then your memory allocation is:
4 GB for regionserver
1 GB for OS
1 GB for datanode
1 GB for tasktracker
9/6 GB for M/R
So, are you sure that all of your m/r tasks take less than 1 GB?

Dave