hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RegionObserver and system tables (-ROOT-, .META.)
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2011 04:58:25 GMT
I see... Could you comment on HBASE-4263?

What I am suggesting there is to only load table specific RegionObservers for -ROOT- and .META.
and not system the wide ones.
As coprocessors for these two tables will likely have to be special anyway that might make
sense.

-- Lars

________________________________
From: Gary Helmling <ghelmling@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: RegionObserver and system tables (-ROOT-, .META.)

> That led me to question: Should a RegionObserver be allowed to interfere
> with the system tables?

Yes.

This is critical for the security implementation, for example.  We need to
perform authorization checks on access to -ROOT- and .META.  If this were
disallowed, then security couldn't be implemented on coprocessors alone.
I'm sure there are other applications lurking out there as well.

Coprocessors are very much an "experts only" feature right now.  It's
possible to completely bork your cluster with them.  We can make them a bit
safer to use, but going too far and neutering them only shoots ourselves in
the foot.

--gh