hbase-user mailing list archives

From Joel Halbert <j...@su3analytics.com>
Subject Re: delete does not free hdd space
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:36:43 GMT
Hi,

I experience exactly the same thing.

After deleting many rows I do not see a decrease in size of data on
disk.

When I run a major compact manually from the shell it outputs the same
as for Sasha:

0 row(s) in 0.9210 seconds

I am running HBase standalone (without hadoop) on local disk.

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 10:42 +0300, sasha.maksimenko wrote:
> hi!
> hm
> I've deleted and after that run major_compact
>
> HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands.
> Version: 0.20.6, r965666, Mon Jul 19 15:48:07 PDT 2010
> hbase(main):001:0> major_compact 'task'
> 0 row(s) in 0.9210 seconds
> hbase(main):002:0>
>

> is it could be a problem that I use local file system  - not HDFS?
>

> > If you run a major_compact from the shell that should purge out deleted records.
By default the major compaction happens on every table every 24 hours.

> > -chris
> >
> > On Aug 25, 2011, at 12:17 AM, sasha.maksimenko wrote:
> >
> >> hi!
> >> I need to free hdd space, so I want to delete some unimportant rows
> >> I'm using Thrift call
> >> deleteAllRow(TABLE, ROWID);
> >> to perform deletion of about 10 000 row (when I loaded them it was about 30Gb).
When I perform this operation I checked thru hbase shell that rows are deleted, but used space
of the disk is not changed
> >> I performed compact and major_compact operations (they returned 0 processed
rows) but space is not changed too.