hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:27:17 GMT
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But surely for logical consistency, we should not favor one vendor (as
> > we have been for a year now), over another. So would it be correct to
> > continue to suggest to users they use CDH?  After all, even though it
> > is ASF2.0 and free, it is still giving one vendor a leg up over others
> > (including hortonworks, the ASF project, etc).
> >

> Most of the time that we suggest CDH, we also say that you could run the
> 0.20-append branch from the ASF. If Hortonworks had a free Apache 2.0
> licensed release that worked well with HBase we could recommend that, too.
> wouldn't have a problem with any of the above.

My only test for these would be something that helps hbase users.

It definitely helps to know about Apache branches, CDH and MapR.  As soon as
Apache and/or Hortonworks have a viable release for hbase, then they ought
to be on the list.

With a short list, I don't think order matters.  If we get more than half a
dozen vendors (or orgs) then it might start to matter.