hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: region server failover interval?
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:15:33 GMT
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Yang <teddyyyy123@gmail.com> wrote:
> if the current region server fails, and master detects that and
> assigns the region to another region server,
> the new region server needs to read the SSTables and HLog and
> construct the memtable.

Yes.

> the master reassignment+memtable construction process, how long
> roughly does it take?
> during this process, the region is unavailable to clients (though for
> only a short while), right?
> if so, I wonder how actual HBase installations in production handle this?

It depends on how many logs need splitting.  It can take seconds to
minutes.  If lots of logs, many minutes.  During this time the
region/data is offline for reads and writes.

In 0.90.x hbase, the split process is done by the master process. In
0.92.0, the log splitting is distributed so should run faster in
general.

St.Ack
St.Ack