hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Design/Schema questions
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:19:48 GMT
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Mark <static.void.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> So my first question is, would HBase fit our use case? If not
> can anyone offer some advice on what would/should be used?

You mean HBase as the sink for your log emitters?

The pattern I usually see is that there is intermediary, a flume or
scribe pushing the logs up into hdfs and then the log events are
hoisted up into hbase to field queries [1, 2]

> Assuming HBase does fit our use case does anyone have any suggestions on
> what type of tables/columns would be needed?

All the metadata in one columnfamily and all of the data into another
though sounds like you are all small data so one cf should do you.
Figure how you are going to query it.  That'll define your schema.

St.Ack

1. This link describes the reporting UI for fb a analytics platform
2. Description of how the backend works:
http://nosql.mypopescu.com/post/3657671463/facebook-builds-hbase-based-real-time-analytics