hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <eric.char...@u-mangate.com>
Subject Re: Hash indexing of HFiles
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2011 08:38:37 GMT
On 15/07/11 16:48, Michael Segel wrote:

> Claudio,
>
> I'm not sure on how to answer this...
>
> Yes, we've got a prototype of a Lucene on HBase w Spatial that we're starting to test.

That's Cool Michael.
Is there a chance to read more on your prototype ?  ;)

> With respect to hashing...
> In one project we just hashed the key using the SHA-1 hash already in Java. This gave
us the randomness without having to try to build a separate index.
> But we're still using the base key for the row. Its not like we're creating a secondary
index on a column value.

> There are a couple of other projects out there on Git Hub so you may want to check them
out.

> HTH
>
> -Mike
>

>> Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:32:50 +0200
>> From: claudio.martella@tis.bz.it
>> To: user@hbase.apache.org
>> Subject: Hash indexing of HFiles
>>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> at SIGMOD this year i've seen a spreading of different storage files for
>> HBase, with different techniques. My scenario and usage doesn't really
>> require range queries, so I thought I'd take advantage of even faster
>> random i/o from hash indexing of data in each sequence file.
>>
>> Does anybody know if anybody has developed other indexing techniques for
>> sequence files other than Btrees?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Claudio Martella
>> Free Software&  Open Technologies
>> Analyst
>>
>> TIS innovation park
>> Via Siemens 19 | Siemensstr. 19
>> 39100 Bolzano | 39100 Bozen
>> Tel. +39 0471 068 123
>> Fax  +39 0471 068 129
>> claudio.martella@tis.bz.it http://www.tis.bz.it
>>
>> Short information regarding use of personal data. According to Section 13 of Italian
Legislative Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003, we inform you that we process your personal data
in order to fulfil contractual and fiscal obligations and also to send you information regarding
our services and events. Your personal data are processed with and without electronic means
and by respecting data subjects' rights, fundamental freedoms and dignity, particularly with
regard to confidentiality, personal identity and the right to personal data protection. At
any time and without formalities you can write an e-mail to privacy@tis.bz.it in order to
object the processing of your personal data for the purpose of sending advertising materials
and also to exercise the right to access personal data and other rights referred to in Section
7 of Decree 196/2003. The data controller is TIS Techno Innovation Alto Adige, Siemens Street
n. 19, Bolzano. You can find the complete information on the web
 site www.tis.bz.it.

--
Eric Charles
http://about.echarles.net