hbase-user mailing list archives

From Greg Cottman <greg.cott...@quest.com>
Subject Stargate: Only getting HTTP 200 responses in 0.90.x
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 06:57:00 GMT
Hi guys,

We're using the Stargate REST server to access HBase data and as of 0.90.1 we getting HTTP
200 packets where we used to get 201s and 204s.  There seem to be two significant changes...

We used to get a 201 after creating a scanner with the scanner ID in the "Location" property.
 We still get this packet with a valid scanner ID but it's now an HTTP 200 packet.  This doesn't
matter too much because we are mostly interested in the Location property anyway.

The real problem is that we used to get an HTTP 204 when we exhausted the scanner, but now
we get an 200 packet there too.  The documentation on scanners at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/Stargate#A5
says we should still expect this to be the case.

These 200 packets appear to have 20 bytes of garbage in the content.  The content encoding
says they're gzip streams but they're not, and they seem to appear on any 200 packet that
doesn't carry a specific payload.  Because it's a dodgy 200 packet at the end of the legitimate
200 packets carrying the scanner results, we are trying to decode this as just another data
packet at which point we crash and burn.  :-(

Anyone seeing anything like this?  Any ideas on why the packets no longer match the documented
protocol?

Thanks,
Greg.

Greg Cottman