hbase-user mailing list archives

From Zhoushuaifeng <zhoushuaif...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Multiple column families or multiple tables?
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:17:12 GMT
Hi,
By my understanding, it's according the data size and access pattern. If the data size in
the two families are significantly different it's better to use different tables.
Multiple families with few data will increase store count and increase system resource spending.
So I think it's better to use multiple tables according your case.

Zhou Shuaifeng(Frank)

-----Original Message-----
From: Sheng Chen [mailto:chensheng2010@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:40 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Multiple column families or multiple tables?

I have a few (about 10) groups of columns with similar keys. Each group has
a different access pattern. For most keys, there is only one group that has
a value.
Since 'HBase currently does not do well with anything about two or three
column families', does it mean that it is a better idea to use different
tables instead of  different column families?

Thanks.

Sheng