hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Monitoring
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:09:40 GMT
> From: Jeff Whiting <jeffw@qualtrics.com>

> If Ted had answered the post along the lines of (I ganked the reply from Joey):
>
>     Hadoop and HBase are pretty monitoring tool agnostic. It does provide
>     a number of metrics via JMX and a REST interface which you can tie
>     into the monitoring tool of your choice.
>
>     Ted
>
>     p.s. If you are using MapR it will do this for you out of the box.
>
> I don't think any of us would be having this conversion right now.

Thanks, Jeff, my thoughts exactly.

Instead we had a nearly content free plug for a commercial product on an FOSS user list. On
the HBase lists to my knowledge this was the first, but I've been seeing such plugs for this
particular commercial product frequently on various other Hadoop lists. Observing this is
now equally predictable and annoying. I find such plugs to be nonresponsive to the concerns
of FOSS users and a minor intrusion into our (FOSS) community.

   - Andy