hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hbase performance with HDFS
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:11:18 GMT
Some thoughts off the top of my head. Lars' architecture material might/should cover this too.
Pretty sure his book will.

Regarding reads:

One does not have to read a whole HDFS block. You can request arbitrary byte ranges with the
block, via positioned reads. (It is true also that HDFS can be improved for better random
reading performance in ways not necessarily yet committed to trunk or especially a 0.20.x
branch with append support for HBase. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1323)

HBase holds indexes to store files in HDFS in memory. We also open all store files at the
HDFS layer and stash those references. Additionally, users can specify the use of bloom filters
to improve query time performance through wholesale skipping of HFile reads if they are known
not to contain data that satisfies the query. Bloom filters are held in memory as well.

So with indexes resident in memory when handling Gets we know the byte ranges within HDFS
block(s) that contain the data of interest. With positioned reads we retrieve only those bytes
from a DataNode. With optional bloomfilters we avoid whole HFiles entirely.

Regarding writes:

I think you should consult the bigtable paper again if you are still asking about the write
path. The database is log structured. Writes are accumulated in memory, and flushed all at
once. Later flush files are compacted as needed, because as you point out GFS and HDFS are
optimized for streaming sequential reads and writes.

Best regards,

  - Andy

White)