hbase-user mailing list archives

From Deepankar Sarkar <Deepankar_Sar...@mindtree.com>
Subject Reading HBase Row with large number of columns
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:14:24 GMT
Hi,

I have a HBase table which has dynamically named columns, and hence, the number of columns
keep increasing as the usage of the application by a user.  This table stores the audit logs
of each operation performed by the user.

I want to look up latest  N transactions done by user.  To do this, I have to do a "get" on
the row key and programmatically scan through all columns to determine which are the latest
N entries.  I can specify a time range in the "get" to narrow down the number of columns I
have to read and bring into memory of the client application, however, I will have to do try
this few times before I can get hold of latest N entries.  This is because there may not be
any entries in the time range I had specified, and I will have to re-try the get with larger
time ranges.

Is there any better way to do this?
Also, is there a way to find out how many columns a given row has without reading all the
columns in the "get" operation?

Regards,
Deepankar