hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jason Rutherglen <jason.rutherg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene with hbase.
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 18:00:58 GMT
Mark Kerzner has a synopsis of a recent discussion:

http://shmsoft.blogspot.com/2011/06/search-in-ediscovery.html

I think there will be query and index performance degradation if the
index is stored in HBase as for example a term per column.

For HBASE-3529 I took the approach that Lucene is heavily optimized
today as is, and will continue to be optimized by brilliant open
source search engineers.  So instead of placing indexes into HBase,
they're written to and read from HDFS.  I suspect based on [1] slide
66 that this is the approach Google implements with BigTable.

1. http://www.scribd.com/doc/21631448/Dean-Keynote-Ladis2009