hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Michael G. Noll" <michael.g.n...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop not working after replacing hadoop-core.jar with hadoop-core-append.jar
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:20:18 GMT
Hi all,

I have updated my Hadoop+HBase article with the filenaming-related
information of the Hadoop core jar file (thanks for your notification,
St.Ack).

FYI, Hadoop 0.20.2 and 0.20.203.0 differ in how they find their hadoop-* JAR
files.

Hadoop 0.20.2 (bin/hadoop):

    for f in $HADOOP_HOME/hadoop-*-core.jar; do
      CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:$f;
    done

Hadoop 0.20.203.0 (bin/hadoop):

    for f in $HADOOP_HOME/hadoop-core-*.jar; do
      CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:$f;
    done

Hence I made a note to the article that you only need to rename the custom
built JAR files if you are running the older _0.20.2_ release.

Follow-up question:
Since both Hadoop 0.20.203.0 and HBase 0.90.3 were recently released (the
article is about 0.20.2 and 0.90.2), is there anything else I can update in
the article? For instance the section with the matrix showing version
compatibilities between Hadoop and HBase? Here at work we are still testing
our slightly customized Hadoop 0.20.203.0 version (we have integrated some
patches which are not in the stock release) and I haven't had the chance to
look at HBase 0.90.3 at all yet. Just shoot me a message and I'll integrate
the missing information in the article.

Andrew Purtell wrote:
> We cover this issue in the online book, but as this thread suggests,
> we might make that better by pulling in some of Michael Noll's material
> either directly with his permission or by reference. We don't "own" the
> Hadoop wiki so can't do anything there. Our own wiki (and website) needs
> a refresh. When that happens we can cover this issue, perhaps with a
> compatibility matrix (with links to build or distro instructions),
somewhere up front.

Oh, almost forgot to reply to that: Of course feel free to integrate my
article back into the HBase docs. I had already offered St.Ack to help out
with the writing but back in April the decision was made to just link to my
blog (i.e. a reference rather than a book/website/wiki update). Personally,
I'd prefer this information to be available in the official docs rather than
on an individual's website. Just let me know what you guys prefer.

Best,
Michael

PS: It's getting increasingly harder to keep track of all the Michael's on
this list. ;-)