hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: coprocessor failure question and examples?
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:40:56 GMT
Dean,

> I am considering putting a List<lines> in the Account
> basically(ie. A column-family with n columns) and a
> coprocessor then processes the line for that account(lots of
> work is needed to be done here including checking the
> Activity table which is a key of account-sequence so it is
> co-located with the account.

If a RegionObserver issues RPC to another table from any of the hooks that are called out
of RPC handlers (for Gets, Puts, Deletes, etc.), you risk deadlock. Whatever activity you
want to check should be in the same region as account data to avoid that. (Or HBase RPC needs
to change.)

> Also, if my processing fails for any reason, will the
> original client that did the put receive an
> exception???

If your hook throws an exception the client will get it as if something went wrong natively.
Throw the exception from a pre hook to abort any changes to the table.

  - Andy