hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com>
Subject Re: HBase doesn't work....
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:22:40 GMT
I'm not sure what your specific problem is but these are the steps I'd take to get it up and
running:
1. Setup and get hdfs running (verify it by going to http://hdfs-host:50070/)
2. Get zookeeper up and running on 1 host
3. Get hbase up and running in pseudo distributed mode. See:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#distributed.

Once you have pseudo distributed mode working, all you have to do is add more nodes and everything

works.  Make sure dns / hosts file is setup correctly, if not things wont work.  As far as
zookeeper
is concerned you would want 1 or 3 zk nodes but not 2.  For a cluster your size 1 is plenty.
  I'd
also update to cdh3u0 as that is the most recent.    If you still can't get pseudo distributed
mode
working I'd fall back to getting  hbase up and running with just a single node running on
the local
file system--see http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#quickstart.

Good luck,
~Jeff

On 6/22/2011 2:34 AM, Laurent Hatier wrote:
> And one thing : i have set the hbase-env like this : JAVA_HOME =
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun, HBASE_MANAGE_ZK = true, HBASE_CLASSPATH =
> /usr/lib/hadoop/conf.... and the hbase-site : hbase.cluster.distributed :
> true and hbase.zookeeper.quorum : IP adresses of my 3 nodes
>
> 2011/6/22 Laurent Hatier<laurent.hatier@gmail.com>
>
>> My conf sorry : HBase 0.90.1 with cloudera&  Hadoop 0.20 with cloudera
>> (package cdh3b4)
>>

>> 2011/6/22 Laurent Hatier<laurent.hatier@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I know it's maybe ridiculous but i have problems with HBase installation
>>> in cluster. I will have follow 2-3 tutorials on it but it doesn't work.
>>> Well, first i would like to know if it possible to have 2 servers in
>>> cluster with HBase. I ask this because i have seen that we must have 3
>>> servers for Zookeeper.
>>> Secondly, i don't have really understood the Zookeeper definition ^^
>>> (maybe this one can be the first ^^)
>>> I use HDFS for root.dir but there is a lot of difference between HDFS and
>>> /tmp for example ?
>>> I start "hbase master start" like this and "hbase regionserver start" on
>>> the other node.
>>> I have already insert IP adresses in the regionserver file.
>>> Thirdly, i have question about HDFS : when i start hbase on 1 server it
>>> works (root.dir use HDFS) ; but when i want to see the hadoop system with
>>> localhost:50030 (and of course i have starting all) it doesn't work... There
>>> is a relation ?
>>>
>>> If anyone can answer me one of these (or all ^^) thanks to you !
>>>

>>> --
>>> Laurent HATIER
>>> Étudiant en 2e année du Cycle Ingénieur à l'EISTI
>>>

>> --
>> Laurent HATIER
>> Étudiant en 2e année du Cycle Ingénieur à l'EISTI

--
Jeff Whiting
Qualtrics Senior Software Engineer