hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <eric.char...@u-mangate.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop/HBase Upgrade Suggestion
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 04:30:16 GMT
I guess organizations will rely on CDH with full doc, support...
The individuals will like to use Apache release, and especially
snapshots/trunk to get latest functionality and get insight of the
internals.

In this specific append/security case, it may be a bit more tricky
The CDH release sounds ahead of the Apache trunk, but I think it's a
matter of documentation and understanding of what is
implemented/supported in the trunk.

Tks,
- Eric

On 21/06/11 05:19, Zhong, Andy wrote:
> Thank you! I have been successfully tried another workaround solution via http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/04/14/building-an-hadoop-0-20-x-version-for-hbase-0-90-2/comment-page-1/#comment-19757.
>
> However, choosing between apache distribution and CDH seems a hot topic and a tough decision
recently. Could anyone share with your comments or thought? Below are some of comments I captured
from some papers:
> 1. CDH is great for getting a working setup running quickly with lots of add-ons. But
that comes at a cost of not fully understanding how the pieces integrate and how various parts
of the system work together. For Hadoop, that can be deadly since it is complex and very operations
hostile.
> 2. It also means that when asking for help, you might be stuck asking other Cloudera
users since it does diverge from Apache and the various other distributions. A sort of 'vendor
lock-in' based on patches, but that is going to be a problem with any non-Apache distribution.
> 3. Going the pure-Apache route, yes, will be tougher. But the skills you learn will be
applicable to any Hadoop installation.

> Thanks,
> Andy Zhong

on it.  Here is our (a little stale at this point
> -- see recent thread) story regards hadoop versions http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html#hadoop
>
> St.Ack
>
> This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation
and/or one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading
the contents. Thank you.

--
Eric