hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Zhong, Andy" <Sheng.Zh...@searshc.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop/HBase Upgrade Suggestion
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 03:19:41 GMT
Thank you! I have been successfully tried another workaround solution via http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/04/14/building-an-hadoop-0-20-x-version-for-hbase-0-90-2/comment-page-1/#comment-19757.

However, choosing between apache distribution and CDH seems a hot topic and a tough decision
recently. Could anyone share with your comments or thought? Below are some of comments I captured
from some papers:
1. CDH is great for getting a working setup running quickly with lots of add-ons. But that
comes at a cost of not fully understanding how the pieces integrate and how various parts
of the system work together. For Hadoop, that can be deadly since it is complex and very operations
hostile.
2. It also means that when asking for help, you might be stuck asking other Cloudera users
since it does diverge from Apache and the various other distributions. A sort of 'vendor lock-in'
based on patches, but that is going to be a problem with any non-Apache distribution.
3. Going the pure-Apache route, yes, will be tougher. But the skills you learn will be applicable
to any Hadoop installation.

Thanks,
Andy Zhong

-----Original Message-----
From: saint.ack@gmail.com [mailto:saint.ack@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stack
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 11:53 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hadoop/HBase Upgrade Suggestion

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Zhong, Sheng <Sheng.Zhong@searshc.com> wrote:
> Could anyone give me suggestion for Hadoop/HBase upgrade? We're
> currently using  apache hadoop 0.20.2 + hbase 0.20.3 + zookeeper-3.2.2.
> Has anyone done with latest stable version of hadoop-0.20.203.0rc1 +
> Hbase 0.90.2, and will Hbase 0.90.2 have compatible issue with
> hadoop-0.20.203.0rc1? I am very appreciated by any help and suggestion.

hadoop-0.20.203 does not have append support so its not recommended that you run hbase on
it.  Here is our (a little stale at this point
-- see recent thread) story regards hadoop versions http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html#hadoop

St.Ack

This message, including any attachments, is the property of Sears Holdings Corporation and/or
one of its subsidiaries. It is confidential and may contain proprietary or legally privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without reading the contents.
Thank you.