hbase-user mailing list archives

From Chris Tarnas <...@email.com>
Subject Re: Incoming Row Distribution Strategy/Algorithm Among Region Servers?
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:58:47 GMT
There are a few ways:

1) Dynamically as data added. You start with one region and all data goes there. When a region
grows to big, it gets split in half. So if a region had keys 1-10 we now have 1-5 and 5-10.

2) Manually at table creation. You can specify your regions ahead of time if you have a good
handle on the data distribution.

-chris