hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Hardware configuration
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 13:57:25 GMT

Hi,

That's actually a really good question.
Unfortunately, the answer isn't really simple.

You're going to need to estimate your growth and you're going to need to estimate your configuration.

Suppose I know that within 2 years, the amount of data that I want to retain is going to be
1PB, with a 3x replication factor, I'll need at least 3PB of disk. Assuming that I can fit
12x2TB drives in a node, I'll need 125-150 machines. (There's some overhead for logging and
OS)

Now this doesn't mean that I'll need to buy all of the machines today and build out the cluster.
It means that I will need to figure out my machine room, (rack space, power, etc...) and also
hardware configuration.

You'll also need to plan out your hardware choices too. An example.. you may want 10GBe on
the switch but not at the data node. However you're going to want to be able to expand your
data nodes to be able to add 10GBe cards.

The idea is that as I build out my cluster, all of the machines have the same look and feel.
So if you buy quad core CPUs and they are 2.2 GHz but 6 months from now, you buy 2.6 GHz cpus,
as long as they are 4 core cpus, your cluster will look the same.

The point is that when you lay out your cluster to start with, you'll need to plan ahead and
keep things similar. Also you'll need to make sure your NameNode has enough memory...

Having said that... Yahoo! has written a paper detailing MR2 (next generation of map/reduce).
As the M/R Job scheduler becomes more intelligent about the types of jobs and types of hardware,
the consistency of hardware becomes less important.

With respect to HBase, I suspect there to be a parallel evolution.

As to building out and replacing your cluster... if this is a production environment, you'll
have to think about DR and building out a second cluster. So the cost of replacing clusters
should also be factored in when you budget for hardware.

Like I said, its not a simple answer and you have to approach each instance separately and
fine tune your cluster plans.

HTH

-Mike