hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Sterk, Paul (Contractor)" <Paul.St...@searshc.com>
Subject RE: Web-based Hbase Query Tool?
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 16:43:06 GMT

Jason,

Thanks for the quick response. What I want to do is use a query tool that leverages some kind
of Hbase secondary index to support row filtering based on columnfamily values (not rowid
values).  This will enable queries similar to SELECT col1 FROM table1 WHERE col1 LIKE '%test%'.
Currently, this is not supported by hbase, AFAIK.

Now, it is possible to create Hbase secondary indexes using the classes in org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.tableindexed
(see SingleColumnValueFilter).  This approach works and I can retrieve filter results using
a basic java client.  The problem is that there is nothing layered on top of the client.
I need something like a JavaEE app with a web front end where a user could enter a query text
string and leverage the above java client code to retrieve filtered rows from bhase.

Now, I have implemented a solution using Solr/Lucene as the indexing and query server[1].
 See below for details.  The downside is my implementation involves two queries: one to the
Solr index store and a second one to hbase.  I would prefer just one query directly to hbase.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if your implementation seems to fit my requirements.
I'll continue to read about what you have done.

Paul

[1] What I am looking for is close to this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1301?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

This enables the creation of Hbase secondary indexes via Solr/Lucene.  The Solr indexes are
stored in Solr's native storage format. I have used this module to index Hbase rows with the
row id mapped to the Solr Document id.  Similarly, Hbase column families are mapped to Solr
fields. This enables someone to lookup an Hbase column using a term query such as TransactionInfo.transaction_nbr:9043.

I have also created an implementation of a org.apache.solr.response.QueryResponseWriter. This
class receives the results of the Solr query, looks up the Solr Documents, retrieves the all
ids which map to the Hbase row ids, sorts them, and then executes a range scan on the Hbase
table using startRow and stopRow.  This works reasonably well but it involves two queries:
one to Solr and one to Hbase.