hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase major_,compaction
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 20:34:22 GMT
Major compaction will not merge old small regions.  The change in
cable schema makes it so existing ones will grow larger before they in
turn split.  To check a table is already compacted, do an lsr on the
table's directory in hdfs.   See how many storefiles.  If a major
compaction ran recently, there should be one file only in most leaf
directories.

St.Ack

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Miguel Costa <miguel-costa@telecom.pt> wrote:

> I created a table with a small maxfilesize (64MB)and now the table has got lots of regions,
more than 1000.

> I changed the maxfilesize to a bigger number  (512MB) but I still have lots of regions
even after I major_compact all tables. I t seems that major_compact didn'tcompact any region.