hbase-user mailing list archives

From Wayne <wav...@gmail.com>
Subject memstore flush blocking write pause
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 13:40:32 GMT
In order to reduce the total number of regions we have up'd the max region
size to 5g. This has kept us below 100 regions per node but the side affect
is pauses occurring every 1-2 min under heavy writes to a single region. We
see the "too many store files delaying flush up to 90sec" warning every
couple of minutes. We have upped the size of the memstore flush size (256m)
as well as upped the blockingstorefiles (15) but these pauses
are occurring more than writes are occurring. In the end our write
through-put has degraded considerably.

Are we better off going to a 1G region size? Will this help the situation?
We were always told less/bigger regions was better but this "seems" to be a
bad side affect of that. Should we instead increase the memstore flush size
even more? We are also having serious JVM problems...what is our best course
of action here?

Thanks for any help/advice that can be provided.