hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Performance degrades on moving from desktop to blade environment
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 17:43:04 GMT
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Himanish Kushary <himanish@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of moving a small Hbase/Hadoop cluster from our
> development to production environment.Our development environment were few
> intel desktops (8 cores CPU/8 Gigs RAM/7200 rpm disks) running centOS while
> the production environment are blades with (24 cores AMD CPU/32 gigs
> RAM/15000 rpm disks) AMD architecture running centOS.

Nice.

> Strangely the hbase performance seems to degrade after moving stuffs to the
> production enviroment (suppoesed to have more horse power).We are using the
> latest and default installation for cloudera version of hadoop and hbase.No
> changes to memory or other parameter were done on both the environment.
>
> Any idea what could cause this.Could the AMD architecture be the
> cause.Pointers to things to look for to improve performance in the
> production cluster would be really appreciated.
>
> Note: We ran "count" from hbase shell on a huge table and found the desktops
> to be performing much better. We are in the process of comparing Map-Reduces
> presently.

Recheck the required configurations --
http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html#requirements -- and I'm
sure you've see the perf section:
http://hbase.apache.org/book/performance.html

Otherwise, can you check the systems?  Perhaps there is a badly
configured network driver or disk controller on the new hardware?  Do
some basic sanity checks that the blades are working as advertised.

Good luck,
St.Ack