hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jack Levin <magn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.90.3
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 01:01:38 GMT
Then I recommend scratching hostname use in leu of reverse lookup only

-Jack

On May 24, 2011, at 5:45 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

>> From: Jack Levin <magnito@gmail.com>
>> figured it out... the /etc/hosts file has ip to name, was used by
>> zookeeper was *.prod.imageshack.com, while hostname was
>> imgXX.imageshack.us... use by Regionserver/Master -  Ideally, all
>> three components should source hostnames form same place, whether its
>> hostname or /etc/hosts (or dns), etc... it gotta be consistent,
>> otherwise aliases end up screwing things up and people will end up
>> guessing why things don't work.
>
> I suspect users encountering this will happen from time to time.
>
> One of our teams encountered something like this (but with 0.20.x so the result was much
worse) prior to establishing better practice, i.e. use of Puppet to distribute resolv.conf,
nsswitch.conf, and hosts from a central location. Inconsistencies with reverse hostname lookups
will give any distributed system that uses it for naming fits. No reason not to use it if
convenient, but we should definitely call this out prominently in the book xml.