hbase-user mailing list archives

From Doug Meil <doug.m...@explorysmedical.com>
Subject RE: HBase Scability
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 23:16:48 GMT
Hi there-

Re:  " When I started inserting data in the tables it seems that they are always inserting
in a single region,"

You probably want to read this as a general warning...

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#timeseries

.. and check this out as a potential solution for bucketing timeseries keys...

https://github.com/sematext/HBaseWD/

-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel Costa [mailto:miguel-costa@telecom.pt]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:28 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: HBase Scability

Hi,

I have three tables and I receive in one 1500 m/s and the other two about 500 m/s.

My row key is based on time on the three tables. When I started inserting data in the tables
it seems that they are always inserting in a single region, what is supposed to be normal
based that the key is incremental.

But what happens is that if the different regions of the tables are on the same regionserver,
when, let's suppose,

table1 is flushing to disk the other two are waiting for that to end.

Isn't supposed that Hbase should have some kind of control over this? Because many times is
a single machine working for at least two processes and the other machines aren't doing nothing.

One solution was to split the table that receives 1500m/s so that it can send some work to
another region server.

What is the best practice so that I do not need to split the table in two and that even with
incremental keys the process flows to more machines?

I'm using HBase 0.90.

Thanks,

Miguel