hbase-user mailing list archives

From Iulia Zidaru <iulia.zid...@1and1.ro>
Subject Re: Hardware configuration
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 15:14:49 GMT
  Thank you Ian. These are very important points to think about.

iulia

On 05/02/2011 05:30 PM, Ian Roughley wrote:
> I think that there are two important considerations:
> 1. Can the JVM you're planning on using support a heap of>  10GB, if not, you're wasting
money
> 2. Putting more disk on nodes, means that a failure will take longer to re-replicate
back to it's
> balanced state.  i.e. Given you're network topology, how long will even a 50TB machine
take, a day a
> week, longer?
>
> /Ian
> Architect / Mgr - Novell Vibe
>
> On 05/02/2011 09:57 AM, Michael Segel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> That's actually a really good question.
>> Unfortunately, the answer isn't really simple.
>>
>> You're going to need to estimate your growth and you're going to need to estimate
your configuration.

>> Suppose I know that within 2 years, the amount of data that I want to retain is going
to be 1PB, with a 3x replication factor, I'll need at least 3PB of disk. Assuming that I can
fit 12x2TB drives in a node, I'll need 125-150 machines. (There's some overhead for logging
and OS)

>> Now this doesn't mean that I'll need to buy all of the machines today and build out
the cluster.
>> It means that I will need to figure out my machine room, (rack space, power, etc...)
and also hardware configuration.

>> You'll also need to plan out your hardware choices too. An example.. you may want
10GBe on the switch but not at the data node. However you're going to want to be able to expand
your data nodes to be able to add 10GBe cards.

>> The idea is that as I build out my cluster, all of the machines have the same look
and feel. So if you buy quad core CPUs and they are 2.2 GHz but 6 months from now, you buy
2.6 GHz cpus, as long as they are 4 core cpus, your cluster will look the same.

>> The point is that when you lay out your cluster to start with, you'll need to plan
ahead and keep things similar. Also you'll need to make sure your NameNode has enough memory...

>> Having said that... Yahoo! has written a paper detailing MR2 (next generation of
map/reduce).  As the M/R Job scheduler becomes more intelligent about the types of jobs and
types of hardware, the consistency of hardware becomes less important.

>> With respect to HBase, I suspect there to be a parallel evolution.
>>
>> As to building out and replacing your cluster... if this is a production environment,
you'll have to think about DR and building out a second cluster. So the cost of replacing
clusters should also be factored in when you budget for hardware.

>> Like I said, its not a simple answer and you have to approach each instance separately
and fine tune your cluster plans.

>> HTH
>>
>> -Mike

>>> Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 09:53:05 +0300
>>> From: iulia.zidaru@1and1.ro
>>> To: user@hbase.apache.org
>>> CC: stack@duboce.net
>>> Subject: Re: Hardware configuration
>>>
>>> Thank you both. How would you estimate really big clusters, with
>>> hundreds of nodes? Requirements might change in time and replacing an
>>> entire cluster seems not the best solution...

CPU,