hbase-user mailing list archives

From Chris Tarnas <...@email.com>
Subject Re: Hardware configuration
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 17:03:44 GMT
What are some of the common pitfalls of having different configurations for different nodes?
Is the problem more management issues, making sure each type of node has its own config (so
a 12 core box has 12 mappers and reduces, an 8 core has 8, drive layouts, etc) or are there
problems that configuration changes can't deal with?

thanks,
-chris

On May 2, 2011, at 6:57 AM, Michael Segel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That's actually a really good question.
> Unfortunately, the answer isn't really simple.
>
> You're going to need to estimate your growth and you're going to need to estimate your
configuration.

> Suppose I know that within 2 years, the amount of data that I want to retain is going
to be 1PB, with a 3x replication factor, I'll need at least 3PB of disk. Assuming that I can
fit 12x2TB drives in a node, I'll need 125-150 machines. (There's some overhead for logging
and OS)

> Now this doesn't mean that I'll need to buy all of the machines today and build out the
cluster.
> It means that I will need to figure out my machine room, (rack space, power, etc...)
and also hardware configuration.

> You'll also need to plan out your hardware choices too. An example.. you may want 10GBe
on the switch but not at the data node. However you're going to want to be able to expand
your data nodes to be able to add 10GBe cards.

> The idea is that as I build out my cluster, all of the machines have the same look and
feel. So if you buy quad core CPUs and they are 2.2 GHz but 6 months from now, you buy 2.6
GHz cpus, as long as they are 4 core cpus, your cluster will look the same.

> The point is that when you lay out your cluster to start with, you'll need to plan ahead
and keep things similar. Also you'll need to make sure your NameNode has enough memory...

> Having said that... Yahoo! has written a paper detailing MR2 (next generation of map/reduce).
 As the M/R Job scheduler becomes more intelligent about the types of jobs and types of hardware,
the consistency of hardware becomes less important.

> With respect to HBase, I suspect there to be a parallel evolution.
>
> As to building out and replacing your cluster... if this is a production environment,
you'll have to think about DR and building out a second cluster. So the cost of replacing
clusters should also be factored in when you budget for hardware.

> Like I said, its not a simple answer and you have to approach each instance separately
and fine tune your cluster plans.