hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: hbase test library
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:41:19 GMT
Hey Chief:

See in the below.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Patrick Angeles
<patrickangeles@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be a considerable help to the developer community if there were a
> set of mock classes for HTable and friends to help with unit testing. Having
> MiniHBaseCluster available as a public API would also be extremely useful
> for integration testing and RAD (used in conjunction with, say, embedded
> Jetty for HBase-backed web apps).

I like the way you are thinking Patrick but let me make sure I'm
following along.

So, these mocks implement the HTableInterface?  Or?

And tell us more what you mean by MiniHBaseCluster as a public API?

> The mocks do not yet exist (or is available from places external to the
> project) and MiniHBaseCluster exists in the HBase test classpath but not
> packaged for public use. I'd like the devs to consider another split of the
> project such that there is an hbase-test module that can be included in the
> test classpaths of client projects. There's been talk about a separate
> hbase-client module for just the client API, this effort could be done in
> conjunction with that one.

So, we publish hbase-*.jar one of which is the test jar up in apache's
maven repo already.  You want more than that?

Security is probably going to be the forcer that brings on maven
submodules in the hbase project so we can build build secure and
insecure hbase switching in secure and insecure hadoop dependencies as
appropriate.   I'd imagine the project submoduling would happen post
0.92 (Is there an argument to do it ahead of 0.92?).  So, including
your test module, its looking like we'll have at least: hbase-core,
hbase-secure, hbase-client, and hbase-test.  Any others?

Thanks Patrick,
St.Ack